Monday 25 May 2015

My Favourite Musicals

Let's get one thing straight. I freakin' love musicals. A lot. I love how they make me all happy and dancey inside and I do believe that life in general would be a whole lot more fun if we all just broke out into song every now and then! So, in no particular order, here is a list of my all time favourites. 

The Sound of Music
My first musical! I remember watching the VHS of this so much that it eventually wore out and it had to be replaced, although it probably didn't help that angry!Capt. Von Trapp used to scare the crap out of me when I was little so I always used to forward through those scenes....
One of my dreams is to go to Austria and do 'The Sound of Music' Tour in Salzburg....and eat lots of authentic strudel and do some yodelling. 

♫ Dirty Dancing
How could anyone not like 'Dirty Dancing'? I love the 60's music and Patrick Swayze is such a babe in it. I wish I could dance like the people in this film. 

♫ Hairspray
"Right now, as we speak, your daughter has entered a hotbed of moral... turpentine." - Best line in the film IMO.

The clothes! Hats off the the costume dept. for 'Hairspray'! I wish I had a floofy dress like the ones they wear in this. The soundtrack to this film happens to me one of my absolute favourites and I love the fact that 'You Can't Stop the Beat' was referred to as 'You Can't Stop to Breathe' by the cast because it's such a fast song.

♫ Mamma Mia
I can't decide what I love the mostest about 'Mammia Mia'. Is the cast? The soundtrack? The filming locations? I think I'll just mash them all together and just say that I ❤︎ it all. I always watch this film in the middle of Winter because it just screams "SUMMER" all over it. My favourite memory of watching this, is going to the cinema with Michelle and her sister and not expecting the end credits and almost dying from laughter. Oh, and of course I want to visit the Greek islands where a lots of the film was shot.

♫ Grease
Grease is the word. I caught the end of this last night on Sky Greats, and it inspired me to write this post. Like 'Hairspray', I love the clothing in this. This is the sort of film that is a must for a girlie night in. 

♫ Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
Even though this is known as the 'Children's Musical', it has a very un-child friendly line in one of the songs:
"...They next attacked a passing goat, soon the wretched creature was no more, they dipped his coat in blood and guts and gore." 
Err...yes. Despite this, it happens to be one of my go-to movie soundtracks. Oh, and if you must know, I have memorised the names of Jacob's sons, just in case I ever get asked in a quiz or something. 

♫ High School Musical 1 & 2
But not HSM3. That was awful.
I have an un-ironic appreciation for these films. When they were released, I was way over the age of the target audience but I watched them all the same as I have the mental age of a 12 year old.
FACT: Whenever Michelle and I are in a restaurant together and there is crème brûlée on the menu, we always say it as Zeke does. Once, we did it in front of my parents and they thought we had gone totally bonkers. 

Other musicals that didn't quite make the list are, 'Les Mis' and 'The Phantom of the Opera' because I haven't watched them enough times to be obsessed with them.

What is your favourite musical and why? 


1 comment:

  1. You can borrow Phantom of the Opera if you want, I have the DVD.

    ReplyDelete