Thursday 19 March 2015

I Take Things Too Personally

Today, my manager at work caused me to have a mini-meltdown because of something he said. Or actually, it was the way he said it. At the time, all I wanted to do burst into manic tears but of course I couldn't and there was a lot of lip-biting involved to stop myself. Yes, I know it's healthy to receive criticism every now and then (it stops you from getting a big-head for a start), but is it really that necessary to give it in a way that upsets people? 

There is a saying that I like and it's "It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice." 

I'd like to think that I'm a nice person and this is most likely the reason why I feel things too deeply. If I see anything remotely sad on TV, I will be in tears and if you are my friend and I see you crying, I will cry with you, even if I don't even know what's upset you in the first place! The worst of it is, I will cry on the behalf of others. If I see anyone treated unfairly and I'm telling the story of what happened to someone else, you can 100% guarantee that I'll get upset. What is up with that?

The world would be a better place if more people were kind and considerate to others. Just because you think someone is strong enough not to take your mean words to heart, that may not be the case. How do you know that they are not fighting some internal battle and anything you say, even if you didn't mean it in a bad way, could make them feel rather rubbish with themselves.

So the moral of this story is:
  1. Be nice to your fellow humans. This is how you make friends and get respect from others.
  2. Don't stir up the hatred. There is no need for this and no-one likes someone who is always complaining. 
  3. Crying is not a sign of weakness, it just proves that you are not a soul-less automaton.

No comments:

Post a Comment